Yes, several studies proved that abortion increases the risk of breast cancer. Among all cancers, after skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cause of death in women.
Women’s risk for certain forms of breast cancer is related to levels of the hormone in the body. The growth and distribution of breast cells take place in response to various hormones such as prolactin, estrogen, and progesterone. These hormone levels will alter throughout the woman’s life. But when the woman becomes pregnant, there will be a great fluctuation in these hormone levels, which can lead to more changes in breast tissues.
It is proved that abortion increases the risk of breast cancer on the basis that abortion can greatly interrupt normal cycle of these hormones during pregnancy period. Researchers believe that these hormonal disturbances might improve breast cancer risk.
Abortions are of different types, such as:
- Spontaneous abortion: It is also called as miscarriage, in which fetus is aborted before the 5th month of pregnancy. Often this is the result of various fetus problems or the environment in which fetus is developing.
- Stillborn birth: It is also called as stillbirth, in which fetus is dead after pregnancy month 5 while still in the womb.
- Induced abortion: It is also called as medical abortion carried for pregnancy termination.
After thorough research of all the above-mentioned abortion methods, here are the findings that indicate whether abortion increases the risk of breast cancer or not:
- The risk of breast cancer is decreased for a short period after the full-term pregnancy i.e. continuing the pregnancy for 9 months and giving birth to a living baby
- There is a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer risk and induced abortion.
- There is also a link between breast cancer risk and spontaneous abortion.
Among the general population, 12% i.e. 12 out of 100 women are now affecting with breast cancer. For women who have never had children, the risk increases to 20% i.e. 20 out of 100 women. For women who have had no children and have one or two abortions, the risk increases to 50%.
Also, there are several factors that can prove that abortion increases the risk of breast cancer, such as:
- When the pregnancy is terminated
- Your age at the time of termination of pregnancy
- How many times you have terminated the pregnancy
- Is it the first pregnancy that you have terminated