Abortion is the termination of pregnancy wilfully, which maybe due to any personal reason or medical reason. Most abortions take place within the first trimester. Some hospitals may not provide abortive measures, if the pregnancy reaches more than 12 weeks of gestation. You should be well informed of the medical protocols when you take a decision. Also, it helps to know the symptoms and side effects of undergoing an abortion.
Types of abortion
You may have the choice between a surgical abortion or a medication abortion depending on the availability of the procedures in the hospital. Learn more about the differences between the two types of abortion here.
This procedure is done through the use of an abortion pill. You may have to swallow or place it inside your vagina as recommended by your doctor. This may be done as soon as you have conceived and up to the first three months. You will be given a pill to be taken at the hospital and then an other one at home or as your doctor suggests. Pill abortions in the early stage are effective and cause no health issues in majority of cases.
- The pill induces abortion by emptying out the uterus. It begins to cramp and it may take few hours to a couple of days to complete the process.
- You may have bleeding, cramping and pain similar to miscarriage, but the intensity may depend on the gestation period.
- Your bleeding can vary from light to heavy.
- In certain cases, you may need to take another pill or undergo surgical procedure, if the pills fail to complete the process.
- You may experience tenderness in breasts.
- Medication may cause nausea and vomiting in some women.
- It is advisable to use sanitary napkins instead of tampons to prevent the development of any infection until the bleeding stops.
In this process, abortion is performed at the hospital and is usually carried out after 12 weeks of gestation. You will be given medication just a couple of hours before the process. You will then be given anaesthesia to not feel the pain. Your uterus will be emptied out with the help of a surgical instrument inserted through the vagina and cervix. The procedure will be done within ten minutes, but you may be asked to spend some time in the hospital before leaving. This can be performed at a later stage in pregnancy as opposed to pill abortion. Surgical abortion is effective in most cases and causes no harm.
- In this procedure, bleeding is comparatively less and you may not have it until the onset of your next period.
- Sedation medication may have some side effects after the procedure.
- Discomfort is also less, compared to abortion pill procedure.