Usually, vaginal discharge is a white colored odorless fluid that comes out of your vagina on a regular basis. Usually, this discharge contains dead crumbing cells from cervix and walls of the uterus, bacteria that grow in the vagina. But, during pregnancy, the changes in hormone levels can affect the normal balance of organisms in the vagina thus causing increased discharge. So, pregnant women are no need to get panic until and unless you see blood discharge from your vagina.
So, what causes vaginal discharge during pregnancy?
There are many reasons for a woman to experience vaginal discharge, either it is due to normal body’s routine or may be due to some existing illness. Whatever might be the reason, you should talk to your doctor about your symptoms.
- Vaginal yeast infection is one of the most common causes of abnormal vaginal discharge. You may experience discomforts like severe itching, pain while urinating, irritation and swelling of the labia.
- Some other problems like bacterial vaginitis and various other sexually transmitted diseases. Both of these conditions are very harmful to your pregnancy, so be sure to consult your doctor. Bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy is linked to preterm rupture of membranes. So, whenever you are diagnosed with this condition, you should get immediate treatment.
- STDs like Chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomonas, and vaginaliscan also cause noticeable vaginal discharge. These conditions can cause greenish discharge with foul odor.
- Sometimes, fluid discharge from the vagina may indicate the labor. When the amniotic sac breaks, amniotic fluid leaks from your vagina. If you observe any fluid leakage from your vagina, immediately call your doctor.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy may also be the reason for vaginal discharge. The more hormone content such as estrogen and progesterone in your body, the greater will be the vaginal discharge.
- Increased blood flow during pregnancy might also be a reason. During pregnancy blood flow to the pelvic area will be almost doubled. So the more blood flow to the vagina, the greater will be the leakage.
- Most studies indicate that increased vaginal discharge may also be an early sign of pregnancy. During pregnancy, estrogen hormone is increased in its levels. So, the increased secretion of estrogen can lead to vaginal discharge.
- Some women may notice blood in their vaginal discharge. This occurs when the implantation of the fetus in the uterus or just before your labor. Apart from these, any other kind of vaginal bleeding during pregnancy is not normal and you should immediately consult your doctor.
So, anytime you notice a vaginal discharge that is thicker, heavier and color than the normal discharge, you should see your doctor and get checked. It could be a problem with your pregnancy. Remember that nothing substitutes for a doctor’s advice.