Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful things in every woman’s life. Though it is wonderful, you and your baby will undergo several changes, which are both good and bad, during those 40 weeks.
To maintain a healthy pregnancy, women need to stay healthy, take vitamin supplements and have better prenatal care. Apart from all these things, you need to know the pregnancy symptoms week by week to expect the changes and get prepared to handle them.
Usually, the signs and symptoms of pregnancy are divided into three parts: presumptive, probably, and positive signs. These symptoms differ from usual pregnancy week by week symptoms, but they are still essential to know for an expectant mother.
Presumptive symptoms: Fatigue, breast tenderness, nausea, vomiting, frequent urination, and missed period. However, these are the pregnancy symptoms; they may also result from another sickness.
Probable signs: Positive pregnancy test, softening of the cervix, enlarged abdomen, and fetal movements during a prenatal exam. These are almost an indication of pregnancy, but they may be a false alarm or due to some other condition.
Positive signs: Fetal heart sounds, the appearance of the fetus through ultrasound, and fetal movements observed by your practitioner. These are completely symptoms felt by a pregnant woman.
Here is the brief overview of pregnancy symptoms week by week:
Pregnancy symptoms week by week are usually divided into three trimesters: first, second, and third. During these trimesters, pregnant women will undergo several changes. Pregnancy symptoms week by week are important, so an expectant mother can better understand and handle changes that their body is undergoing.
The first trimester that lasts for the first 13 weeks of pregnancy is the critical stage among the three trimesters. Pregnant women should be careful of what they eat, supplement, or even medicines they take during this period. Some medicines can be cytotoxic, leading to fetal damage and sometimes miscarriage. Avoid smoking and drinking during this period.
Pregnancy symptoms week by week in the first trimester:
During this period, after fertilizing an egg, your uterus is getting ready for the developing fetus. Also, amniotic fluid is developing to form the placenta.
- Morning sickness
- Breast tenderness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Unusual food cravings
- Weight gain
- Growth in abdomen size
- Linea-nigra – black line from the diaphragm to your pubis will become dark
- Some facial changes
- Outbreak of pimples
Pregnancy symptoms week by week in the second trimester:
- Weight gain
- Water retention that leads to swelling of the ankle
- Passing out the gas
- Heartburn and indigestion
- The height and weight of the baby is increasing
- Back pain
- Your doctor will perform a blood sugar test as this is the period that most pregnant women experience gestational diabetes.
- Shortness of breath
- Sexual desire increases due to the increase of estrogen and progesterone hormones.
Pregnancy symptoms week by week in the third trimester:
- During this trimester, pregnant women gain 1 pound per week.
- Breasts are getting ready for breastfeeding.
- Braxton Hicks contractions may occur, indicating that your body is preparing for labor.
- Vaginal discharge, uterine tightening, mild abdominal cramps, and backache are the common symptoms during this period.
- Frequent urination
- Pelvic pain
- Cervical changes such as thinning and dilation of the cervix
- Having sex during this period helps with the labor.